OF NOVOSIBIRSK STATE MEDICAL UNIVERSITY
in relation to performance of the Urolit nanopulse lithotripter
In October, 2010 - February, 2011 the Urology Department of Novosibirsk State Medical University (NSMU) performed contact lithotripsy procedures using the Urolit nanopulse lithotripter, manufactured by MedLine, Ltd. (Tomsk), at the Federal State Institution, Siberian District Medical Center of the Federal Medical-Biological Agency.
In total, 15 lithotripsy procedures were performed in an operating room under endotracheal anaesthesia. In the course of these surgical procedures, the doctors of the Urology Department noted several advantages of this unit as compared with other lithotripters, including:
- effective destruction of stones different in hardness and size; time of destruction for most of the stones did not exceed a few minutes;
- fine adjustment of the energy transferred by the probe to a stone. Since maximum energy in a pulse does not exceed 0.8 J, the stone does not recoil and it always remains visible;
- minimal exposure to mucosa;
- visibility remains good during fragmentation, which is likely also due to the small energy of the output pulse;
- maximum effectiveness is achieved when a stone is destroyed in the Nitinol stone extractor supplied with the unit;
- possibility to use both single and multiple pulses, and a series of pulses;
- small weight and dimensions of the unit make it possible to easily move the unit and install it on any rack;
- there are no intra- and postoperative complications;
- it should be also noted that the unit is easy to set up and operate.
Head of the Urology Department
of Novosibirsk State Medical
University, Doctor of Medical